We believe that that days of the general store aren't over. The Olney Place is living proof. Our customers come from far and near for our amazing sandwiches, convenient groceries, and awesome Finger Lakes swag. Tourists make The Olney Place a must-see stop along the wine trail, while locals make our cozy spot a home away from home. Although the market and deli is operational seasonly, May through October, our online store offers merchandise all year.
No one can remember a time when there wasn't a general store at 823 East Lake Road--the location has served as a general store since the 1930’s. Current owner Seth Olney remembers Froggy's General Store where one could purchase anything from knitting needles to a new fishing lure. In 2006, Olney purchased the store tearing down the existing structure to build a new store for a new generation, naming it “The Olney Place.” An immediate success, The Olney Place has what every general store needs: great customers.
The Olney Place continues to add and improve its products and services striving to meet the ever-changing needs of the friendly folks who patronize it. Visitors will find classic rural charm while sitting in the rocking chairs on the large front porch. Customers also utilize additional chairs and picnic tables over looking scenic Keuka Lake and the Bluff while sipping, chatting and enjoying a tasty sandwich. Indoor dining is provided as well. Bring your laptop as free WiFi is always available and one of the many features of this Finger Lakes destination.
Owner Seth Olney is a lifelong promoter of Keuka Lake, the Finger Lakes and its wine trails. The wine trails are continually developing, the region is growing, and The Olney Place is always keeping pace.
In the early 1900’S, the location began as a canning house during the first three decades of the 1900’s. In the 1930’s it was purchased by a local man named, Sam Kenyon, who turned it into a general store named “Kenyon’s”. Sam operated it until the 1950’s when his nephew Leo purchased it and operated Kenyon’s until 1979. Charlie Brown then purchased it and changed the name to “Charlie’s Mart” operating the thriving little store until 1988.
From there local business owner, Barry Cox (owner of the Switzerland Inn at the time) operated the establishment and changed the name to “Froggy’s Country Store.”
It has had several owners since then until Seth Olney purchased the property in 2006, tore down the then dilapidated structure, and built the existing store, naming it “The Olney Place” (As he was often reminded during the purchasing process that it was the “only” place between Penn Yan and Hammondsport!)